Black Friday Coming Down: Rhino’s Releases for Record Store Day – Black Friday 2014
If the third Saturday in April is one of the first days you circle whenever you buy a new calendar, then you already know when Record Store Day is, but you may not be aware that the folks who put together that most vaunted of days for vinyl lovers have also gotten into the habit of making the most of the day after Thanksgiving, too.
Big surprise: we here at Rhino are getting involved in Record Store Day: Black Friday 2014, putting out nine – count ‘em – nine limited-edition releases, including a little colored vinyl, a picture disc, and other cool stuff.
Oh, you want specifics, do you?
Well, since you asked nicely, here’s what you should be keeping your eyes open for when you’re out shopping on Friday:
• The Afghan Whigs – Gentlemen At 21 (Deluxe Edition): a 3-LP limited edition of 4,750 copies on 180-gram vinyl, $59.98
• The Doors/Peter LaFarge – Honor the Treaties (“Ghost Song” b/w “Drums”): an individually numbered, limited edition of 8,000 copies on 180-gram vinyl, $16.98
Proceeds to benefit Honor The Treaties, an organization dedicated to amplifying the voices of Indigenous communities through art and advocacy.
• Grateful Dead – 11/18/72 Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, TX: a 2-LP limited edition of 7,200 copies on 180-gram vinyl, $36.98
• Hüsker Dü – Warehouse: Songs And Stories: a 2-LP limited edition of 5,000 copies on neon green and yellow vinyl, $39.98
• Iron Butterfly – Heavy (Mono): a limited edition of 4,000 copies in mono on 180-gram vinyl, $24.98
• New Order – 1981-1982: a limited edition of 6,700 copies on clear vinyl, $16.98
• Ramones – Morrissey Curates the Ramones: an individually numbered, limited edition of 9,000 copies, $22.98
• Dio & Friends – Stand Up And Shout For Cancer: a 12-inch picture disc, limited edition of 5,500 copies, $18.98. Proceeds to benefit The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund, which promotes cancer prevention research and awareness and early prevention education.
• Velvet Underground – MCMXCII: a 4-LP limited edition of 7,500 copies on translucent blue vinyl, $69.98
Get your wallets ready, music fans: this is some seriously great stuff, but if you don’t get to your local participating store bright and early, they’ll be gone.